Categories of hosting services
A hosting service pertains to hoarding and/or sharing certain web content on a server administered by a web hosting company. There are different kinds of hosting services used for different goals, so let's take a glimpse at them. Doing so, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you'd like to run a website, mail accounts, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by some web hosts, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only function is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions are often supported by displaying adverts next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific interval of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is an entirely incorrect interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would assign the load between individual packs of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various website hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, webspace hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a kind of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; some distributors offer a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting variant is good if you want to share a huge amount of pics with friends or partners since the solution is typically free. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to tackling your email mailbox accounts. Some suppliers offer webspace hosting solutions for web sites, but do not provide an email hosting solution. If you wish to launch an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to possess a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can set up email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file creates a certain amount of CPU load, so with several video files and several hundred web page viewers, you may have a problem with your web site hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will allow you to operate as many videos as you desire without bothering about system supplies.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to keep a website. To a certain extent, it includes all of the abovementioned hosting categories since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and e-mail accounts, upload videos, etc. At HD Web Hosting, for example, you can examine web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in a single place. There may be limits based on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting account may be better or worse compared with the regular e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are designed for particular content solely.